Complain about your energy supplier

Make a complaint about your energy supplier or network operator, and find extra support

If you have a problem with your energy supply or you are unhappy with the service you have received, you have the right to complain.

Depending on what the problem is, you can complain to either your energy supplier (the company that provides your energy) or network operator (the company responsible for the pipes and wires that carry electricity and gas).

If you are not sure who to contact, follow the instructions on our Find your energy supplier page.

Making a complaint

If you have a problem with your energy supplier or network operator, contact them and explain what you would like them to do to make it right. 

They should have a formal complaints procedure process on their website or on your energy bills that explains how to do this. They can also explain their complaints procedure process if you contact them by phone. 

If you want to write to them or send them an email, you can use the Citizens Advice complaints letter template.

Suppliers and network operators must try to fix any problems you’ve reported within eight weeks. Make a note of the date you first contacted them in case you need to check this later.

Taking your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman 

The Energy Ombudsman aims to help resolve problems between customers and suppliers or certain network operators. 

See a list of the network operators the Ombudsman can review disputes with on their website.

You can complain to the Energy Ombudsman if:

  • a problem you have reported to your supplier or network operator is not fixed within eight weeks
  • you receive a “deadlock letter”, stating your problem cannot be fixed
  • you’re not happy with the response you have received

Suppliers and network operators must carry out the actions listed in the Ombudsman’s decision. These actions can include fixing your problem, explaining what happened or paying compensation.

Ofgem is independent from the Energy Ombudsman. We cannot get involved in investigations or decisions that the Ombudsman makes. 

If you are unhappy with the Ombudsman’s decision, they will tell you what to do next. 

Support with your complaint

If you live in England or Wales, you can contact Citizens Advice for free and impartial advice on resolving problems with your energy supplier.

If you live in Scotland, you can get energy advice and information on

Citizens Advice Extra Help Unit

Citizen’s Advice may refer you to their Extra Help Unit if you need support with a complex or urgent complaint.

The Extra Help Unit can also offer support if you’re unable to deal with your energy supplier due to personal circumstances

Find out if you might need support from the Extra Help Unit.

Complaints about Ofgem

As the independent energy regulator for Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales), we do not have a direct role in investigating or resolving customer complaints. 

If you are not happy with the way we’re doing something or you think we’ve done something wrong, you can make a complaint about Ofgem.