Complaints about energy suppliers

For help and advice on how to complain about your energy bill or supplier click the below. 

Citizens Advice also provides a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 0808 223 1133.

Visit our guide

Making a complaint

The information below explains how to tell Ofgem if you have a complaint about how we’ve done something or if you think we’ve got something wrong. It also explains how we will deal with your complaint.

When to tell us about your complaint

If you are not satisfied with the way we’re doing something or you think we’ve got something wrong, please tell us as soon as possible so we can try to put things right. Your feedback will help us improve our service for others.

Complaints may be made about the standard of service we have provided, how we have performed, how we operate or the way in which we have reached a decision. We aim to resolve complaints promptly and may contact you to ask for more information to ensure we are directing your complaint to the correct area of the business.

We aim to resolve all complaints first time. However, if you’re not satisfied with our response, you can ask for a review by a senior manager.

What you need to tell us

Please give us as much information as you can to help us understand and to investigate your complaint. Please outline:

  • What you think is wrong
  • When it happened
  • Who you dealt with 
  • How you would like us to resolve the matter
  • Your preferred contact details for us to communicate with you – email, telephone or postal address.

What we will do

We will try to resolve any complaint quickly and explain what we have done and why. Here’s what to expect when you make a complaint to us and the timelines involved.


What happens

Within 2 working days

We will acknowledge your complaint.

Within 20 working days

We will investigate and write to you with our response.

If it is not possible to get back to you within this timeframe, we will update you on progress within the 20 working day period.

Unhappy with the response

If you think our response is unsatisfactory, please tell us by email or letter at the address below. 

We will get back to you within 20 working days of you letting us know.

Taking it further

If after this you are still not satisfied, you can refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for an independent review.

Taking your complaint further

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) is an independent body that can step in if you're not happy with our response. They have the powers to investigate complaints about public bodies.

To make a complaint to the PHSO, you need to first write to your MP. Ask them to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman. To find your MP's contact details, see Contact your MP.

E-mail us to make a complaint

Complaints about Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)

For complaints regarding the Renewable Heat Incentive schemes, you can use the email addresses below:

Alternatively, write to: Ofgem Complaint, Commonwealth House, 32 Albion Street, Glasgow, G1 1LH. 

Please do not send us original documents by post, we will not be able to return them.

You can also ask someone else (for example a relative, friend or professional adviser like Citizen’s Advice) to complain on your behalf.

Dealing with unreasonable behaviour

We understand you may be frustrated or upset. However, unreasonable behaviour can make it difficult for us to help you. Examples include:

  • Refusing to provide the details of a complaint 
  • Denying or changing statements made at an earlier stage
  • Using offensive or threatening language
  • Demanding responses within an unreasonable timescale
  • Excessive phone calls, emails or detailed letters after an update has been given
  • Repeatedly changing the substance of a complaint 
  • Failure to accept that we are unable to assist further 
  • Requests for information the customer has already seen or to reopen an issue that has already been considered.

Responding to unreasonable behaviour

  • Ofgem will report serious incidents to the police
  • We may make contact to explain what we consider unreasonable. Where necessary we will tell the customer in writing what action we are taking and why
  • We will end telephone calls if the caller’s language or behaviour is unacceptable. All staff have the right to make this decision
  • Calls to our Enquiries Team are recorded. We retain any evidence of unreasonable behaviour on customer files.

Restricted contact appeal

Ofgem may choose to restrict contact following unreasonable behaviour. We will write to advise what restrictions are in place. A customer has the right to appeal these restrictions within 20 working days. A senior member of staff not involved in the original decision will consider the appeal and will advise of their decision. 

If a customer remains unhappy with the appeal decision, the next step is to contact the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO).