To be eligible for the Domestic RHI, among other requirements, the scheme rules state a heating system must solely provide heat to a single domestic property, known as an “eligible property”.

A property will be considered to be an ‘eligible property’ under the scheme if it has been issued an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) on the basis that it is a dwelling (referred to from this point onwards as a ‘domestic EPC’). If the property is not capable of obtaining a domestic EPC, it will not be eligible for the Domestic RHI scheme.

If your EPC is ‘domestic’, it will list the ‘dwelling type’ in the top left hand corner.

If you do not already have an EPC for your property, you may need to do some further research in order to determine which type of EPC your property is likely to receive, particularly if you own or reside in a property that:

  • is a domestic property within a larger commercial property
  • the property is used for domestic and commercial purposes
  • if heat is provided to more than one building

Where your heating system heats a single domestic property

To apply for the Domestic RHI you must provide a domestic EPC. A domestic EPC is one that is issued for a property on the basis that it is a “dwelling”. Most individual properties (detached, semi-detached and terraced houses, flats and maisonettes) which are used primarily as homes for single households will be “dwellings”.

Where your domestic property has a home office or studio etc, you will still be able to apply to the Domestic RHI if you can get a domestic EPC.

Where your heating system heats a single property made up of multiple buildings

Where your heating system provides heat to a main house with a domestic EPC and outbuildings that form part of the same property (e.g. garages, pool houses, sheds, games rooms and gyms) you can apply for the Domestic RHI. This includes outbuildings that have a mixed-use, such as workshops or studios.

If your domestic property has outbuildings that have a commercial use (e.g. agricultural buildings, shops, commercial greenhouses, workshops or offices) and are also heated by your renewable heating system, you should consider whether the Non-Domestic scheme may be more appropriate for you. Your heating system can only receive accreditation under one of these schemes (i.e. you cannot apply to both schemes for the same property).

While we accept applications for renewable heating systems providing heat to multiple buildings, payments will only be calculated based on the heat demand figure taken from the domestic EPC.

Where your heating system heats multiple properties

Where your heating system provides heat to multiple properties, you will not be eligible for the Domestic RHI scheme.

Your heating system may be considered to be providing heat to another property if one of the buildings is (or is capable of being):

  • rented out or let separately
  • covered by a separate address
  • subject to business rates
  • has a separate council tax bill, or
  • has a separate domestic EPC.

Where your heating system provides heat to multiple properties, you may be eligible to the Non-Domestic RHI. For more information on the Non-Domestic RHI scheme, please see the Renewable Heat Incentive, Non-Domestic scheme guidance.

Properties which are normally used for domestic purposes but which are not capable of obtaining a domestic EPC, such as caravans, will not be eligible under the Domestic RHI scheme.

Applicants should be aware that the factors taken into consideration by an assessor when making a determination regarding property type may differ depending on whether the property is in England and Wales or Scotland as separate Energy Performance of Building regulations apply in Scotland, and hence, the guidance on the legislation may also differ. If you want to be certain about your eligibility as a domestic property, you may wish to have an EPC carried out on your property prior to installing your heating system.