We are administering the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) until 31 March 2015 and as such our duties include, but are not limited to:
- the allocation of a proportion of the overall targets to qualifying suppliers
- the monitoring of supplier progress and determining whether they have achieved their obligations
- reporting to the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change
- audit, compliance and the prevention and detection of fraud.
Further information concerning our duties, as well as detailed guidance for suppliers about their requirements as set out by law, can be found in the document Energy Companies Obligation (ECO): Guidance for Suppliers.
The Guidance outlines:
- which energy suppliers are obligated under the scheme
- how they can meet their obligations
- when and what they need to report on
- information on ECO recommended measures.
The Guidance covers the three ECO obligations for energy companies:
- the Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation (CERO)
- the Carbon Savings Community Obligation (CSCO)
- the Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO).
The Guidance document is not intended to be a definitive guide. It is the responsibility of individual suppliers to understand the provisions of the Electricity and Gas (Energy Companies Obligation) Order 2012.