Which technologies are eligible for FITs?
There are five eligible renewable and low-carbon technology types. These are:
- Solar photovoltaic (solar PV)
- Micro combined heat and power (CHP)
- Anaerobic digestion (AD)
These installations must be located in Great Britain.
How do I apply?
You can apply for FIT support through one of two routes depending on the size and type of your installation:
- For small installations – home-scale or small business solar PV, wind or CHP – applications are made to an energy supplier. We call this MCS-FIT accreditation. If you’re installing solar panels on the roof of your house, you should apply through this route.
- For large installations - commercial wind and solar PV and all hydro and AD – applications are made to Ofgem. We call this ROO-FIT accreditation.
Energy suppliers are also known as FIT licensees (as they are licensed to provide feed-in tariffs). A list of suppliers is available on our website.
What tariff will I receive and how long will I receive FIT payments for?
FIT support is payable for 20 years (10 years for CHP).
The number of new installations that can receive support under the FIT scheme each month is capped – we call these deployment caps. Applications queue for entry into the FIT scheme:
- For small installations, by the date and time the installation’s MCS certificate was issued.
- For large installations, by the date and time the application was received by Ofgem.
The latest FIT queue information is available here.
The latest FIT tariff rates are available here.
If you are planning a small installation or are thinking about installing one, your initial point of contact is the Energy Saving Trust.
For England and Wales, please contact The Energy Saving Advice Service free on 0300 123 1234. For Scotland, please contact Home Energy Scotland free on 0808 808 2282.
If you would like more information on applying for FIT accreditation for a small installation, please see our small installations webpage or contact your energy supplier.
If you would like more information on applying for large installations, please see our large installations webpage. You can also contact our team on 0207 901 7310 (Option 1) or email ROOFIT@ofgem.gov.uk