Complain about your gas or electricity bill or supplier

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

First Steps

You should contact the energy company directly. The phone number and website will be on your energy bill.


Talk to them

Explain to the energy company what the problem is and what you want them to do about it.



The Citizens Advice consumer service can help you through the process if you can’t find the energy company’s details or need support. They will give you information and advice, and lend you their expertise if you need it.


You can call them on 03454 040506

Or visit their website:


Taking it further

Ombudsman Services Energy can investigate if: the complaint hasn’t been resolved to your satisfaction after 8 weeks; or the energy company deadlocks the complaint (they say they can do no more to resolve it) before 8 weeks are up

You can call them on 0330 440 1624

Or visit their website:

What should I do if I have a complaint  or enquiry about an energy company?

If you have a complaint or enquiry about an energy supplier or network operator you should contact that company directly in the first instance. When you contact them, explain the issue and ask them to resolve it. You can make a complaint by email, in writing or on the phone.

All companies are required through strict complaints handling standards to deal proactively with complaints from micro business consumers. They all have complaints procedures detailing how they do this.

The energy company should respond and try to resolve your complaint. You then need to decide whether you think their response is reasonable and will solve the problem you have. If it doesn’t, tell them.

What if the complaint is not resolved by the energy company?

If the complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction and either eight weeks have passed since the complaint was made or it reaches a point of deadlock (where the energy company says it can do no more to resolve the complaint, whichever is sooner), you can ask Ombudsman Services: Energy to investigate. The energy company should write to you at eight weeks or deadlock to tell you how to do this.

Who are Ombudsman Services: Energy and what can they do?

Ombudsman Services: Energy (OS:E) is the free independent scheme set up to investigate complaints from micro business consumers that the energy company cannot resolve (after eight weeks or deadlock). OS:E can require the company to correct the problem, apologise, explain what happened, and make a financial award. Its decisions are binding on the energy company but not the consumer.

Who can give me advice about my complaint or answer my questions about gas and electricity?

Citizens Advice consumer service is the government funded service offering advice and information by telephone and online on a range of consumer issues, including gas and electricity. As well as being able to offer practical, impartial advice, it can refer consumers to bodies that are better able to assist.

You can contact Citizens Advice consumer service on: 03454 040506

or visit

Specialist help

Citizens Advice consumer service will refer all consumers it identifies as being vulnerable or potentially vulnerable, threatened with disconnection, or who have been disconnected, to the extra help which transferred to Citizen Advice Service on 1 April 2014.

You can get further information about Consumer Futures by visiting its website at:

Its powers include the right to investigate any consumer complaint about actual or threatened disconnection and to investigate complaints from vulnerable consumers.

What is Ofgem’s role in complaints and enquiries?

We don’t have a direct role in dealing with individual disputes between customers and energy suppliers. We collect information from a range of sources as part of our market monitoring activity, and keep markets under review to ensure that all licensees comply with the relevant legislation and licence obligations. If you want to find out more about how we do this, please look at our factsheet: Protecting Customers: Ofgem’s Enforcement powers [pdf].

There are circumstances in which a dispute between a network company and a customer may be referred to the Authority (our governing body) for determination. These circumstances are set out in statute, in particular, the Gas Act 1986 and the Electricity Act 1989 (the Acts) and in the licence obligations on network companies. For more information please see our guidance document: Ofgem guidance on determination of disputes [pdf].

Publications and updates

  • Published: 13th Apr 2017
  • Factsheets, Guidance
  • 1 Associated documents
This guidance sets out the procedure that we will generally follow for determining disputes between licensed energy network companies and their customers.

  • Published: 6th Jun 2014
  • Open letters and correspondence
  • 1 Associated documents
This letters seeks commitment from licenced suppliers and other relevant organisations to use the new expanded micro-business definition when handling micro-business consumer complaints and referrals to the Citizens Advice Service and the Ombudsman...

  • Published: 24th Jun 2003
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
This document explains Ofgem's procedure for determining disputes.