Complaints about Ofgem

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

How to tell Ofgem if you have a complaint about how we’ve done something or if you think we’ve got something wrong, and how we will deal with it.

To complain about an energy bill, supplier or government energy scheme, please see 'Help with other complaints' at the bottom of this page.

When to tell us about your complaint

Any organisation can get things wrong. If you think we have, contact us as soon as possible so we can try to put things right. 

Your feedback will also help us improve our service for others.

How to complain

You can make your complaint by email or in writing. 

You can also ask someone else (for example a relative, friend or professional adviser like Citizen’s Advice) to complain for you.


Write to: 

Commonwealth House

32 Albion Street


G1 1LH

What you need to tell us

When you contact us, please give as much information as you can to help us understand and investigate your complaint. 

Please outline:

  • What you think is wrong
  • When it happened
  • Who you dealt with 
  • How you would like us to resolve the matter
  • Your preferred contact details for us to communicate with you – email, telephone or postal address.

Additionally, if you have been dealing with a person at Ofgem on the matter, please copy any letters or emails to us. This will help us to speed up our investigation. 

What we will do

We will try to resolve any complaint quickly and explain what we have done and why. Here’s what to expect when you make a complaint to us and the timelines involved. 

Timeline  What happens
Within 2 working days We will acknowledge your complaint.
Within 20 working days

We will investigate and write to you with our response.

If it is not possible to get back to you within this timeframe, we will write you to update you on progress within the 20 working day period.

Unhappy with response? Within 20 working days

If you think our response is unsatisfactory, please tell us in writing at the address above. 

We will write back to you within 20 working days of you letting us know. 

Taking it further If after this you are still not satisfied, you can refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for an independent review.

Taking your complaint further

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) is an independent body that can step in if you're not happy with our response. They have the powers to investigate complaints about public bodies.

To make a complaint to the PHSO, you need to first write to your MP. Ask them to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman. To find your MP's contact details, see Contact your MP (opens another website)

The Ombudsman can recommend that we provide a remedy.

Help with other complaints

For help and advice on the complaints process for complaints about your energy bill or supplier, or those relating to environmental schemes we administer on behalf of government, see: