Advice for park home residents

Park home residents are entitled to help and support with their energy costs.

If you live in a park home, it’s likely that you buy energy from the site owner rather than from an energy company. There are two main ways that park home residents pay for their energy consumption:

  • As part of a pitch fee that incudes energy.
  • Through an energy bill issued by the site owner.

Park home sites are run in the same way as a business, with the business owner purchasing energy from the energy supplier. Park home residents are usually classed as non-domestic consumers, even though the energy is being used for domestic purposes.

As a non-domestic consumer you still have energy rights and there is range of support available.

Your rights when your energy is provided by the site owner

Your rights are covered by the Maximum Resale Price direction.

The Maximum Resale Price (MRP) direction

The MRP direction means that the site owner cannot make a profit from the energy they resell to residents. They must only recoup the price they paid to the energy supplier.

  • Site residents must pay for their proportion of the site’s usage, as far as can be reasonably calculated by the site owner.
  • The reseller can't cover any of their own energy use by charging it out to the residents.
  • The direction doesn’t apply to all the energy-related fees charged by the site owner, who is entitled to charge a fair administration fee for things like meter reading and invoicing.

How can park home residents find out if the site owner is following the MRP direction?

You have a right to see documentation between the reseller and the energy supplier.

  • This includes a breakdown of the rates, for example, for a bill or a contract.
  • You also have a right to know the methodology used to calculate residents' charges. 

How can park home residents seek redress if they believe the MRP direction has been breached?

Ofgem has no formal role in determining individual MRP disputes. If disputes arise and an agreement can't be reached with the site owner, the dispute would need to be resolved by the civil courts.

How to get help with energy related issues at your park home site

If you have any other concerns regarding the physical energy infrastructure of the park home site such as:

  • The energy infrastructure does not have adequate capacity to cope with the demand placed on it by residents.
  • The infrastructure might be dangerous to residents.

These concerns should be raised with your local authority. They act as the Licencing Authority for park homes and are responsible for ensuring sites are safe for residents to live on.

Managing debt problems and budgeting

Start by working out which debts you need to deal with first. Priority debts are ones that can cause serious problems if you don’t do anything about them. They include things like:

  • Energy bills
  • Rent or mortgage
  • Council tax.

You can learn more about priority debt on the Citizens Advice website. Their budgeting tool can also help you manage your finances.


These organisations can support if you are struggling with debt due to high energy bills:

Energy saving advice

Find ways to help reduce energy use and prevent heat loss on our Actions for saving energy page.

Energy Saving Trust, Citizens Advice and National Energy Action also offer helpful advice for ways to save energy, reduce consumption and lower your energy bills.

Additionally, you can call Simple Energy Advice if you’re in England or Wales, or Home Energy Scotland if you’re in Scotland.

  • Simple Energy Advice: 0800 444 202
  • Home Energy Scotland: 0808 808 2282

The government’s ECO4 scheme has allocated funding for upgrading park home heating systems. Visit the Energy Company Obligation page on to find out more.

The Priority Services Register (PSR)

The Priority Services Register is a free support service for people in vulnerable situations.

Distribution Network Operators (the organisations who manage the distribution network that brings energy into our homes) keep their own Priority Services Registers.

Park home residents are eligible to sign up for the PSR of their area’s network operator if they meet the eligibility requirements.

Find out which Distribution Network Operator (DNO) operates in your area.

You can then contact the DNO and request to be added to their PSR. To find out more about eligibility and the services available see our Priority Services Register guidance.

Other energy bill support

Charis offers information on grants and schemes to help with paying energy bills.

Turn2us has a benefits calculator and a grants search tool to help you find out what support you can get as well as a Find an Adviser tool for more information on benefits.

Government help with energy bills

Government support for energy consumers

  • Winter Fuel Payment – for people born on or before 25 September 1956.
  • Cold Weather Payment – a £25 payment for every 7 days of very cold weather (below freezing) between November and March.
  • Warm Home Discount – a £150 discount for some people getting Pension Credit or some people in low-income households. Please note that for park home residents this scheme is administered by Charis on behalf of the government, and you do not need to apply via an energy supplier directly.

If you live in Scotland or Wales;

Other support with energy matters at your park home

Contact Citizens Advice if you aren’t sure about your options and need more support. If you are vulnerable someone at their Extra Help Unit could take on your case.

Call 0808 223 1133 or use their online webchat.

For textphone, dial 18001 followed by the helpline number.


In Scotland, Advice Direct Scotland can help:

Visit the website

Call 0808 196 8660 or use their online webchat



In Wales, for debt and money advice you can also contact Advicelink Cymru.

Call 0800 702 2020 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday for free) or

Visit Advicelink Cymru website - Contact us - Home (

For government funded, independent advice for park home residents and residential leaseholders contact LEASE - The Leasehold Advisory Service.