Gas theft increases costs for customers. Interfering with gas meters or pipes is also a serious risk to safety.
To promote a safer, fairer market for consumers, we have created rules for energy companies that require them play an active role in detecting, investigating and preventing the theft of gas. These rules form part of the gas supply licence. We also work to ensure that the arrangements to tackle theft of gas act in the best interests of consumers.
Our rules for the gas industry include a requirement for gas suppliers to set up a cross industry theft risk assessment service to help them to better target investigations.
We have also supported the industry's development of a new code of practice to establish minimum standards for theft investigations.
How to report gas theft
If you’re concerned about gas theft or want to know more on how you are protected from gas theft, you can:
- Contact your energy supplier. You can find their details on your energy bill, or if you don’t have this to hand see our impartial list on our online energy shopping guide: Energy suppliers (opens another website)
- Contact the UK Revenue Protection Association (UKRPA):
- Call: 0207 090 1070
- Complete the UKRPA online fraud report form.
- Report the theft anonymously using the stayenergysafe website.
Further support and advice
If you need advice or help and support on an energy matter, you can also contact the Citizens Advice Service:
- Citizens Advice consumer helpline (opens another website)
- Call: 03454 040506 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)