Making an enquiry or complaint

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

First steps

If you have a complaint or enquiry about an energy supplier or network operator, you should contact the company directly. The phone number and website will be on your energy bill.

Video guide: Complaints to your energy supplier


Talk to them

Explain what the problem is and what you want them to do about it. You can make a complaint by email, in writing or on the phone.


Expect a response

The energy company should respond and try to resolve your complaint. You then need to decide if you think their response is reasonable and will solve the problem you have. If it doesn’t, tell them.

All companies are required through strict complaints handling standards to deal proactively with complaints from domestic consumers. They all have complaints procedures detailing how they do this.



The Citizens Advice consumer service can help you through the process at any point if you need support. They will give you information and advice, and lend you their expertise if you need it.

You can call them on 03454 040506

Or visit their website:



Taking it further

Ombudsman Services:Energy can investigate if:

  • the complaint hasn’t been resolved to your satisfaction after eight weeks or
  • the energy company deadlocks the complaint (they say they can do no more to resolve it) before eight weeks are up. 

The energy company should write to you at eight weeks or deadlock to tell you how to do this.

You can contact the Ombudsman by phone on 0330 440 1624 or online: Ombudsman Services: Energy website

Who are Ombudsman Services: Energy and what can they do?

Ombudsman Services: Energy (OS:E) is the free independent scheme set up to investigate complaints from domestic consumers that the energy company cannot resolve (after eight weeks or deadlock). OS:E can require the company to correct the problem, apologise, explain what happened, and make a financial award. Its decisions are binding on the energy company but not the consumer.

Who can give me advice about my complaint or answer my questions about gas and electricity?

Citizens Advice consumer service is the government funded service offering advice and information by telephone and online on a range of consumer issues, including gas and electricity. As well as being able to offer practical impartial advice, it can refer consumers to bodies that are better able to assist.

You can contact Citizens Advice consumer service by: 

You should also be able to find contact details for Citizens Advice consumer service on the back of your energy bills.

There are other sources of help available to consumers. For example,* is a free online service and app that offers advice and helps consumers with their complaints.

*Ofgem does not in any way endorse or promote Resolver’s services and have no responsibility for Resolver’s handling of the matter.

Specialist help

Citizens Advice consumer service will refer all consumers it identifies as being vulnerable or potentially vulnerable, threatened with disconnection, or who have been disconnected, to the extra help unit which transferred to Citizen Advice Service on 1 April 2014.

You can get further information on the Citizens Advice website

Its powers include the right to investigate any consumer complaint about actual or threatened disconnection and to investigate complaints from vulnerable consumers.

Our role in complaints and enquiries

We don’t have a direct role in dealing with individual disputes between customers and energy suppliers. We collect information from a range of sources as part of our market monitoring activity, and keep markets under review to ensure that all licensees comply with the relevant legislation and licence obligations. If you want to find out more about how we do this, see our factsheet: Protecting Customers: Ofgem’s Enforcement powers.

There are circumstances in which a dispute between a network company and a customer may be referred to the Authority (our governing body) for determination. These circumstances are set out in statute, in particular, the Gas Act 1986 and the Electricity Act 1989 (the Acts) and in the licence obligations on network companies. You can find more information in Ofgem guidance on determination of disputes [pdf].

Publications and updates

  • Published: 31st Mar 2016
  • Factsheets, Guidance
  • 0 Associated documents
Know what you should do if you get a visit from a door-step energy salesperson, or a sales phone call.

  • Published: 29th Aug 2014
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
Advice and help for domestic consumers regarding complaints and enquiries.

  • Published: 21st Aug 2014
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
If you’re building a new property or business premises, or developing a generation site, you may need a new electricity supply. This guide will help you get connected.

  • Published: 21st Aug 2014
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
This guide explains how to complain if you’re unhappy with the service from your energy company. We don’t deal directly with consumer complaints, but this leaflet tells you who to speak to instead.