Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) Annual Report 2021-22

Reports, plans and updates

Publication date

Scheme name


The second Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) annual report covers scheme activity from April 2021 to March 2022. It presents statistics on the range of tariffs offered by Licensees, payments made to Generators, a breakdown of electricity exports by technology type and details on instances of Licensee non-compliance.


  • Twelve electricity suppliers offered a total of thirty-six tariffs throughout SEG Year 2. Twenty-seven of these were export only whilst nine were bundled with electricity import or conditional on the purchase or use of certain products.
  • 34,020 installations were registered to a SEG tariff during 2021-22, with a Total Installed Capacity of 155.8 MW.
  • Exports totalled 24.4 GWh with Generators receiving £1.67 million in payments.
  • Solar photovoltaic (PV) made up 99.9% of installations in SEG Y2, with Wind, Anaerobic Digestion (AD) and micro-CHP making up the remaining 0.1%.

Please note: For those wishing to look at the data used in the report in more detail, the accompanying datasheet provides access to anonymised details of all installations registered on the SEG. Tables featured in the report and the data used to generate any charts are also provided.