- Publication date
- 11th March 2019
- Information types
- Policy areas
Brilliant Energy Supply Limited, an energy supplier with about 17,000 domestic customers, has ceased to trade.
Under Ofgem’s safety net, the energy supply of Brilliant Energy’s customers, including those supplied under a ‘white label’ arrangement with Northumbria Energy, will continue and the outstanding credit balances of domestic customers will be protected.
Ofgem will choose a new supplier to take on all of Brilliant Energy’s customers as quickly as possible. This supplier will contact these customers shortly after being appointed.
Ofgem’s advice to Brilliant Energy’s customers in the meantime is:
- Do not switch to another energy supplier.
- Take a meter reading ready for when your new supplier contacts you.
This will make the process of transferring customers over to the chosen supplier, and paying back their outstanding credit balances, as smooth as possible.
Philippa Pickford, Ofgem’s director for future retail markets, said:
“Our message to energy customers with Brilliant Energy is there is no need to worry, as under our safety net we will make sure your energy supplies are secure and your credit balance is protected.”
“Ofgem will now choose a new supplier for you, ensuring you get the best deal possible. Whilst we’re doing this our advice is to ‘sit tight’ and don’t switch. You can rely on your energy supply as normal. We will update you when we have chosen a new supplier, who will then get in touch about your new tariff.”
“We have seen a number of supplier failures over the last year and our safety net procedures are working as they should to protect customers.”
Customers who have questions should visit the FAQs on our website. Or if they need additional support, call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via their webform. Alternatively, get in touch through Ofgem’s facebook or twitter feed @ofgem.
Notes to editors
- Brilliant Energy’s customers should take meter readings today and wait until their new supplier contacts them. Once they’ve been contacted, customers can ask to be put on their new supplier’s cheapest deal or shop around for a better deal from another supplier. They won’t be charged exit fees for switching away from their new supplier.
- Ofgem's safety net will make sure customers will always have an energy supply, credit balances are protected and that the process in moving over to the appointed supplier is as smooth and hassle free as possible.
- Some of Brilliant Energy’s customers are supplied under a ‘white label’ arrangement with Northumbria Energy (a trading named for Euston Energy Limited). These customers are technically customers of Brilliant Energy and will also be supplied by the new supplier we will appoint. Our safety net will protect all customers of Brilliant Energy, including those with a Northumbria Energy tariff.
- Euston Energy Limited (trading as Northumbria Energy) has not ceased trading.
For media, contact:
Michelle Amos: 020 7901 1881
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
If you are a consumer and have an enquiry relating to our policies or functions, contact our Consumer Affairs helpdesk on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7901 7295.
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.