- Publication date
- 27th November 2018
- Information types
- Policy areas
Ofgem has appointed Ovo Energy to take on Spark Energy Supply Ltd’s 290,000 domestic customers. This follows a competitive process run by Ofgem to get the best deal possible for the customers of Spark Energy Supply Ltd, which announced it was ceasing to be a supplier on Friday 23 November.
Separately, Ovo Energy has acquired Spark Energy’s operating company Spark Energy Ltd and retained the Spark Energy brand.
Energy will be supplied under Ovo Energy’s supply licence.
As Ovo Energy has acquired the Spark brand and operating company, customers will continue to be billed by Spark and be contacted by Spark’s customer service staff.
Spark Energy’s customers will stay on the same tariffs and all outstanding credit balances will be honoured, including money owed to both existing and former customers of Spark Energy.
For existing customers, energy supplies will continue as normal and any credit on their account can be used to offset future energy use.
Customers of Spark Energy will be contacted over the coming days about the changes. At that point, if customers wish to change their tariff or switch supplier, they should ask to be switched to another Ovo Energy tariff, or shop around.
Customers will not be charged exit fees if they decide to switch to another supplier.
Mary Starks, Ofgem’s Executive Director for Consumers and Markets, said:
“I am pleased we have appointed Ovo Energy, and that Spark Energy’s customers will be offered the same tariffs they are already on. Their credit balances will be honoured and their energy supply will continue as normal.
“Ovo Energy, under the Spark Energy brand, will be in contact with customers over the coming days with further information. Once the transfer has been completed, customers can shop around for a better deal if they wish to.”
More information for Spark Energy’s customers can be found on the Ofgem website.
Notes to editors
- Spark Energy’s customers will be supplied by Ovo Energy as of Wednesday 28 November. Accounts will be fully set up as soon as possible over the coming weeks.
- Ovo Energy, under the Spark brand, will be in touch with customers in the coming days. Any questions customers may have should be directed to 0345 034 7474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Customers can find support and advice on the Ofgem website. Alternatively, if they need additional support, they can call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via webform, or get in touch through Ofgem’s Facebook or Twitter feed
- Ovo Energy will honour the credit balances of current and former Spark Energy customers. Former customers should wait for Spark Energy, operating under Ovo Energy, to contact them.
- Current and former customers who owe money, or are in debit to Spark Energy should wait to hear from Spark Energy’s administrators or Spark Energy itself who will talk to them about repayment arrangements.
- Customers with direct debits should not cancel their arrangement, although please do not panic if you have already done so. Spark Energy will contact you shortly to explain how they will set up your account.
- The cost of protecting customers’ credit balances will be met partly by Ovo Energy, and the rest will be covered by the safety net put in place by Ofgem. This is funded by a levy recovered through energy network charges.
For media, contact:
Michelle Amos: 0207 901 1881
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.