Compensation if there’s an energy switch problem

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

Most energy switches run smoothly, but if things go wrong you may be eligible for automatic compensation under our guaranteed standards.

Am I eligible?

Automatic switching compensation applies from 1 May 2019. You are entitled if:

  • you are switched to another supplier and have not requested the switch (sometimes called an ‘erroneous’ switch or transfer)
  • a supplier is late refunding a credit balance following a final bill.

It does not apply:

  • to switches that happened before 1 May 2019.
  • to business energy customers.
  • if an energy supplier has gone out of business.

If your supplier has gone out of business, the Ofgem Safety Net works to ensure any owed credit balance is protected. As part of the safety net process we will work with the new supplier we appoint to ensure credit is refunded as quickly as possible.

How much am I entitled to?

A supplier must pay automatic compensation to affected customers as below. Further compensation may be awarded if these payments aren’t made on time.



Amount of compensation

Erroneous switch

Suppliers fail to agree if a switch is valid or erroneous within 20 working days of you notifying either supplier

£60 (£30 from each supplier)


Erroneous switch

Contacted supplier fails to inform you within 20 working days to confirm the outcome of their investigation into an erroneous switch

£30 by contacted supplier


Erroneous switch

Suppliers fail to restore the connection to your previous supplier within 21 working days of agreement being reached on if a switch is erroneous.

£30 from original supplier

Credit refund

Supplier fails to refund an owed credit balance within 10 working days of sending a final bill.

£30 by former supplier


How will I get my compensation? Can I also make a claim?

Suppliers will automatically compensate you if they identify an issue, but you can also contact a supplier to make a claim.

Payments will be made by suppliers directly to your bank, by cheque or by issuing credit to your pay-as-you-go meter.

In some cases, the gaining supplier from an erroneous switch may contact you to confirm payment arrangements. This is normal, but always ask for further information before supplying your personal details. You can check the current supplier allocated to your property by contacting the Meter Point Administration Service. See Who is my gas or electricity provider?

How long will it take until I am refunded?

You should be refunded within 10 working days after the supplier fails to meet the guaranteed standard.

Anything else?

All suppliers must provide automatic switching compensation. Some suppliers have also signed up to the Energy Switch Guarantee, which is a voluntary industry initiative. Find out more at

We will introduce further new standards to tackle delayed switches and late bills later in 2019.

If you have issues with switching compensation, follow the complaints steps below.

Further help