Ofgem has appointed British Gas to take on supplying People’s Energy’s approximately 350,000 domestic customers and around 1,000 non-domestic customers. This follows a competitive process run by Ofgem to get the best deal possible for customers.
Outstanding credit balances, including money owed to both existing and former domestic customers of People’s Energy will also be honoured.
For existing People’s Energy customers, energy supplies will continue as normal after they switched over to British Gas on 19 September 2021.
Customers of People’s Energy will be contacted over the coming days about the changes. If customers wish to switch supplier they can shop around, but are advised to wait until the transfer has been completed. Customers will not be charged exit fees if they decide to switch to another supplier.
Neil Lawrence, Ofgem’s director of retail, said:
“I am pleased to announce we have appointed British Gas as the new supplier for customers after People’s Energy entered insolvency. We understand that this news may be unsettling for customers, however they do not need to worry. Their energy supply will continue as normal, and all domestic customer credit balances held on their accounts will be protected by British Gas.
“Your energy supply will not be interrupted. British Gas will be in contact with customers next week with next steps. Once transferred to British Gas, customers can ask to be put onto another tariff, but should customers wish to switch, we advise waiting for the transfer from People’s Energy to be completed.”
People’s Energy customers can access more information at www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/peoples-energy.html or by calling 0333 202 1052 for credit customers and 0333 202 9742 for PAYG customers. In an emergency please use the emergency contacts listed at www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-support/emergencies
British Gas will be in touch with customers with direct debits to explain how to set up their account. Customers are advised not to cancel their direct debits as British Gas will aim to transfer these.
More information for People’s Energy customers can be found on the Ofgem website.
The supplier of last resort process will allow British Gas to recover the additional costs of taking on People's Energy's customers, where appropriate. British Gas has committed that it will do everything it can to minimise those costs.
Notes to editors
- People’s Energy customers will be supplied by British Gas as of 19 September 2021. British Gas will work with People’s Energy’s administrators to set up customer accounts as soon possible. British Gas will be in touch with customers in the coming days.
- Any questions People’s Energy customers have should be directed to www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/peoples-energy.html or by calling 0333 202 1052 for credit customers and 0333 202 9742 for PAYG customers.
- British Gas will honour the credit balances of current and former domestic customers of People’s Energy.
- Current and former customers who owe money, or are in debit to People’s Energy should wait to hear from People’s Energy’s administrators.
- The new supplier will be in touch with customers with direct debits to explain how to set up their account.
- Customers can find support and advice on the Ofgem website. Alternatively, if they need additional support, they can call Citizens Advice on 0808 223 1133 or email them via webform, or get in touch through Ofgem’s facebook or twitter feed @ofgem
For media, contact
Ben Tritton: 07388 851167 / email@example.com
Media out of hours mobile: 0792 882 9894 (media calls only)
General enquiries (non-media)
If you are an energy customer looking for help and advice, including complaints about energy firms, please see our Household gas and electricity guide and our energy advice for businesses. Citizens Advice also provide a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 0808 223 1133.
We also regularly share news and post general advice to help consumers get the most out of their energy services via our @Ofgem twitter and Facebook pages. If you have an enquiry or complaint relating to Ofgem’s policies or functions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7901 7295.
For all other non-media related enquiries, please visit our Contact us page.
Ofgem is Britain’s independent energy regulator. Our role is to protect consumers now and in the future by working to deliver a greener, fairer energy system. We do this by:
- Working with Government, industry and consumer groups to deliver a net zero economy at the lowest cost to consumers.
- Stamping out sharp and bad practice, ensuring fair treatment for all consumers, especially the vulnerable.
- Enabling competition and innovation, which drives down prices and results in new products and services for consumers.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.