- Publication date
- 6th October 2020
- Information types
- Policy areas
Tonik Energy Ltd, a gas and electricity supplier with around 130,000 domestic customers, is ceasing to trade.
Under Ofgem’s safety net, the energy supply of Tonik Energy’s customers will continue and outstanding credit balances of domestic customers will be protected.
Ofgem will choose a new supplier to take on all of Tonik Energy’s customers. This supplier will contact these customers shortly after being appointed.
Ofgem’s advice to Tonik Energy’s customers in the meantime is to:
- Not switch to another energy supplier until a new one has been appointed and you have been contacted by them in the following weeks.
- Take a meter reading ready for when your new supplier contacts you.
Philippa Pickford, Director of Retail at Ofgem, said:
“Tonik Energy customers do not need to worry, as under our safety net we’ll make sure your energy supplies are secure and domestic customers’ credit balances are protected.
“Ofgem will now choose a new supplier for you and whilst we are doing this our advice is to ‘sit tight’ and don’t switch. You can rely on your energy supply as normal. We will update you when we have chosen a new supplier, who will then get in touch about your new tariff.”
Customers who have questions should visit the FAQs on our website. Or if they need additional support, call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via their webform. Advice will also be shared on Ofgem’s twitter @ofgem and facebook channels.
Notes to editors
- Tonik Energy customers should take meter readings today and wait until their new supplier contacts them. Once they have been contacted, customers can ask to be put on their new supplier’s cheapest deal or shop around for a better deal from another supplier. They will not be charged exit fees for switching away from their new supplier.
- Ofgem's safety net will make sure customers will always have an energy supply, domestic customers’ credit balances are protected and that the process in moving over to the appointed supplier is as smooth and hassle free as possible.
For media, contact
For media, contact Michael Anderson: 020 7901 7079
Media out of hours mobile: 07928 829 894 (media calls only)
General enquiries (non-media)
If you are an energy customer looking for help and advice, including complaints about energy firms, please see our Household gas and electricity guide. Citizens Advice also provide a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 0808 223 1133.
We also regularly share news and post general advice to help consumers get the most out of their energy services via our @Ofgem twitter and Facebook pages. If you have an enquiry or complaint relating to Ofgem’s policies or functions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7901 7295.
For all other non-media related enquiries, please visit our contact us page.
Ofgem is Britain’s independent energy regulator. Our role is to protect consumers now and in the future by working to deliver a greener, fairer energy system. We do this by:
- Working with Government, industry and consumer groups to deliver a net zero economy at the lowest cost to consumers.
- Stamping out sharp and bad practice, ensuring fair treatment for all consumers, especially the vulnerable.
- Enabling competition and innovation, which drives down prices and results in new products and services for consumers.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.