- Publication date
- 14th March 2019
- Information types
- Policy areas
Ofgem has appointed SSE to take on supplying Brilliant Energy’s 17,000 domestic customers. This follows a competitive process run by Ofgem to get the best deal possible for customers.
SSE is offering Brilliant Energy’s customers, including those supplied under a ‘white label’ arrangement with Northumbria Energy, a competitive tariff.
All outstanding credit balances, including money owed to both existing and former customers of Brilliant Energy will also be honoured, and SSE will absorb a significant portion of these costs.
For existing customers, energy supplies will continue as normal as they switch over to SSE on Friday 15 March.
Customers of Brilliant Energy will be contacted over the coming days about the changes. If customers wish to switch supplier they should shop around. Customers will not be charged exit fees if they decide to switch to another supplier.
Philippa Pickford, Ofgem’s director for future retail markets, said:
“I am pleased to announce we have appointed SSE, which will offer Brilliant Energy’s customers a competitive tariff for their energy. Their credit balances will be honoured and their energy supply will continue as normal.
“SSE will be in contact with customers over the coming days with further information. Once the transfer has been completed, customers can shop around for a better deal if they wish to.”
Northumbria Energy customers with questions should visit SSE’s website: www.sse.co.uk/your-new-supplier/northumbria-energy, call 0345 073 7729 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information for SSE’s customers can be found on the Ofgem website.
Notes to editors
- Brilliant Energy’s customers will be supplied by SSE as of Friday 15 March. Accounts will be fully set up over the coming weeks.
- SSE will be in touch with customers in the coming days. Any questions customers have should be directed to SSE.
- SSE will honour the credit balances of current and former Brilliant Energy customers.
- Current and former customers who owe money, or are in debit to Brilliant Energy should wait to hear from SSE or Brilliant Energy’s administrators.
- Customers with direct debits should not cancel their arrangement, although if you have already done so, SSE will contact you shortly to explain how they will set up your account.
- Some of Brilliant Energy’s customers are supplied under a ‘white label’ arrangement with Northumbria Energy (a trading name for Euston Energy Limited). These customers are technically customers of Brilliant Energy and will also be supplied by SSE. Ofgem’s safety net will protect all customers of Brilliant Energy, including those with a Northumbria Energy tariff.
- Euston Energy Limited (trading as Northumbria Energy) has not ceased trading.
- Customers can find support and advice on the Ofgem website. Alternatively, if they need additional support, they can call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via webform, or get in touch through Ofgem’s facebook or twitter feed @ofgem.
For media, contact:
Michelle Amos: 020 7901 1881
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
General enquiries (non-media)
If you are an energy customer looking for help and advice, including complaints about energy firms, please see our Household gas and electricity guide. Citizens Advice also provide a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 03454 040506.
If you have an enquiry or complaint relating to Ofgem’s policies or functions, contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7901 7295.
For all other non-media related enquiries, please visit our Contact us page.
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.