Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS): Small installations

A ‘small installation’ is solar photovoltaic (solar PV) and wind installations with a Declared Net Capacity (DNC) of 50kW or less - you can find the DNC of your installation on your MCS certificate or by speaking to your installer - and all micro combined heat and power (CHP) installations. It may help you to know that the average home-scale PV installation is 4kW. If the capacity of your installation is more than 50kW, please go to our large installations page.

How do I apply?

You will need a Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certification (or equivalent) if you want to receive FIT payments. For solar PV installations you will also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rated D or above and issued before you commission your installation to receive the highest FIT tariffs.

To apply, follow these steps:

1. Commission your installation

You must use an MCS-certified installer using MCS-certified equipment. Your installer will register your installation on the central MCS database and give you an MCS certificate.

2. Submit an application to your chosen energy supplier (we call this your FIT Licensee)

A full list of FIT licensees is available on our website.

3. Claim your FIT payments

Once your energy supplier accredits your application, they will make the FIT payments to you once a quarter.

What tariff will I receive?

The number of new installations that can receive support under the FIT scheme each month is capped – we call these deployment caps. Applications for small installations are queued by the date and time the MCS certificate was first issued.

The latest FIT queue information is available here.

The latest FIT tariff rates are available here.

Need help?

Your initial point of contact is the Energy Saving Trust. For England and Wales, please contact The Energy Saving Advice Service free on 0300 123 1234. For Scotland, please contact Home Energy Scotland free on 0808 808 2282.

If you would like more information on applying for FIT accreditation for a small installation, please see our small installations webpage or contact your energy supplier.


If you have a complaint about your FIT licensee, your first point of contact should be your FIT licensee (the supplier paying your feed-in tariffs), who will help resolve your complaint according to their complaints procedure.

If an agreement has not been reached with the FIT licensee within eight weeks then you can contact the Energy Ombudsman.

If you have a complaint about your installer, your first point of contact should be your installer. If the complaint is not resolved, you can approach the certification body for the installation company. Details of the correct certification body can be found on the MCS website. Alternatively you can approach the Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC) to escalate the complaint.

There is more information on the dispute resolution process on the government’s website.

Publications and updates

  • Published: 8th Jul 2016
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
This factsheet provides an overview of the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme, how to apply and where to find out more information.

  • Published: 8th Jul 2016
  • Factsheets
  • 1 Associated documents
This factsheet answers some of the most frequently asked questions around the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme.

  • Published: 11th Feb 2016
  • Guidance
  • 2 Associated documents
This guidance document is for MCS-scale installations that are seeking accreditation under the scheme from 15 January 2015.

  • Published: 23rd Mar 2010
  • Open letters & correspondence
  • 1 Associated documents
Letter to accredited independent microgenerators regarding the transition from the Renewables Obligation

  • Published: 19th Mar 2010
  • Open letters & correspondence
  • 1 Associated documents
Letter to microgeneration agents regarding the transition of accredited generating stations from the Renewables Obligation.