- Distribution Network
- Transmission Network
- Supply and Retail Market
- Generation and Wholesale Market
- Case study (UK): Hydrogen-heated homes of the future
- Case study (UK): Smart, flexible local energy systems
- Case study (UK): Open networks in the future, flexible energy system
- Case study (UK): Digitalising energy systems for net zero
- Case study (Australia): Reforming national electricity markets
- Case study (Germany): Redispatch 2.0
On Thursday 29 July 2021, Ofgem hosted 'Delivering the flexible energy system of the future'. This is part of our programme of Green, Fair Future events bringing together the international regulatory community on our countries' collective climate ambitions and enabling energy-related decarbonisation.
The event focused on approaches to creating flexibility, including consumer empowerment and protection in flexible markets, the role of storage and interconnectors, reforming markets to reward flexibility and energy system data and digitalisation.
Watch the recordings for each session below.
1. Welcome and opening remarks: The Green Revolution
Jonathan Brearley, Ofgem chief executive
The Rt Hon Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP, UK Minister of State - Minister for Energy, Clean Growth and Climate Change
3. Panel discussion: Facilitating flexibility for consumers
Chair: Meghna Tewari, Head of Retail Market Policy, Ofgem
4. Panel discussion: Enabling grid flexibility
Chair: Natasha Smith, Head of European Wholesale Markets, Ofgem
5. Panel discussion: Reforming markets to reward flexibility
Chair: Richard Smith, Director, Energy Systems Management & Security, Ofgem
6. Panel discussion: An international perspective on flexibility, in partnership with CEER
Chair: Dr Annegret Groebel, CEER President, Director of International Relations at the German Regulatory Authority for Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, Post and Railway (BNetzA)
7. Panel discussion: Digitalising our energy system for net zero
Chair: Shân Millie, Founder, Bright Blue Hare
8. Closing remarks
Richard Smith, Director, Energy Systems Management & Security, Ofgem
Please note: video text captions are automatically generated.