Gas and electricity are essential services. Providing extra services to people who need them to access the market and stay safe remain critically important. This consultation seeks views on proposals that require suppliers, electricity distribution network operators and gas distribution networks to:
- provide additional non-financial services to energy consumers who are more likely than a typical consumer to experience problems with communication, safety and supply
- take reasonable steps to identify people who would benefit from these services
- share consumer information with each other and other utility companies, using vulnerability indicators agreed between them
- raise awareness of services, including developing a single cross-industry brand
- conduct annual independent audits of their performance and publish findings yearly.