Ofgem has chosen Green Star Energy to take on supplying the customers of Future Energy, which went out of business last week. This follows a competitive process run by Ofgem to get the best deal possible for Future Energy’s customers.
Green Star Energy is offering Future Energy’s customers the same price as they were paying before, both for customers on fixed and variable tariffs. The tariff rates will be honoured until 30 September this year.
Green Star Energy will honour all outstanding credit balances, including money owed to both current customers and to past customers of Future Energy.
For current customers, any credit on their account will be used to offset future energy use. Past customers should contact Green Star Energy directly for a refund.
Customers of Future Energy will be contacted by Green Star Energy by 6th February with more information about their tariff and account balance.
Our advice to customers is to sit tight and wait until Green Star Energy contacts them. Then, if they wish to change their tariff, they should ask Green Star Energy to switch them to another deal, or shop around. They won’t be charged exit fees.
Rob Salter-Church, Ofgem’s Interim Senior Partner for Consumers and Competition, said: “We are very pleased to have been able to secure a deal with Green Star Energy, where Future Energy customers will continue paying the same price for their energy as they were before. And their credit balances will be honoured.
“Our advice for customers of Future Energy is to wait until Green Star Energy contacts you. They will give you more information about the tariff you are on, and about your credit balance. Then you can shop around for a better deal if you wish to.”
Customers with questions should contact Green Star Energy customer service team, on 0800 029 1560 or email@example.com.
More information for Future Energy customers can be found on the Ofgem website.
Notes to editors
- Current Future Energy customers with a credit balance to Future Energy will find that money is credited to their new Green Star Energy account. It will be used to offset future energy use. Past Future Energy customers who are owed money need to contact Green Star Energy directly who will refund their money.
- Current and former customers who owe money, or are in debit to, Future Energy will not owe money to Green Star Energy. Instead, they will be contacted by Future Energy’s administrators who will talk to them about repayment arrangements.
- Customers with direct debits should cancel their arrangement. Green Star Energy will be in contact to set up a new direct debit.
2. The cost of protecting customers’ credit balances will be largely met by Green Star Energy, and the rest will be covered by the safety net put in place by Ofgem. This is funded by a levy spread across all energy suppliers.
Ofgem’s safety net allows suppliers to recover the cost of credit balances by a levy across all suppliers.
3. Future Energy customers should contact the Green Star Energy customer contact team should they have an enquiry. They can be reached on 0800 029 1560 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Green Star Energy is a residential trading name of Hudson Energy Supply UK Limited. Established in 2013, Green Star Energy supplies over 300,000 domestic customers with gas and 100% renewable electricity across the United Kingdom.
For media, contact:
Ruth Somerville: 0207 901 7460
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.