- Publication date
- 17th December 2014
- Closing date
- 21st January 2015
- Policy areas
This consultation seeks views on proposed new data assurance requirements for electricity transmission, gas transmission, and gas distribution companies. The requirements are set out in the Data Assurance Guidance (DAG) including associated reporting templates.
We are also seeking views on proposed modifications to the electricity transmission and gas transporter (transmission and distribution) licences, to enable us to require the companies to provide data assurance reports to Ofgem on the annual cycle set out in the DAG.
The receipt of robust data from network companies is essential to enable Ofgem to effectively carry out its role as regulator. It is important for assessing network companies’ price control forecasts, explaining to customers what is being delivered in return for the revenue that network companies are allowed to earn, and to monitor performance against the price control settlements.
We have been working with network companies since 2012 to develop the guidance and requirements contained in the draft DAG and associated reporting template documents. We fully considered the views of network companies during the development and trial phase and have revised the draft DAG documents where it was considered appropriate to do so.
Network companies have a responsibility to ensure that all data they submit to Ofgem is robust and fit for purpose. The purpose of the DAG is to provide assurances to Ofgem that this is the case.
The DAG will require network companies to:
- Carry out risk assessments on the data they submit
- Plan data assurance activities, and take appropriate actions on the findings, that are proportionate to the risk of a submission
- Consider ways to improve their systems and process for submitting data to Ofgem and to take appropriate measures to reduce risks
- Report on the above to Ofgem.
- Decision on Data Assurance Guidance and licence changes for Electricity and Gas Transmission Licensees and for Gas Distribution Licensees