- Publication date
- 23rd October 2019
- Information types
- Policy areas
Toto Energy, an energy supplier with around 134,000 domestic customers has ceased to trade.
Under Ofgem’s safety net, the energy supply of Toto Energy’s customers will continue and prepayment meters can be topped up as normal. The outstanding credit balances of customers will be protected.
Ofgem will choose a new supplier to take on all of Toto Energy’s customers. This supplier will contact these customers shortly after being appointed.
Ofgem’s advice to Toto Energy’s customers in the meantime is to:
- Not switch to another energy supplier until a new one has been appointed and you have been contacted by them in the following weeks.
- Take a meter reading ready for when your new supplier contacts you.
This will make the process of transferring customers over to the chosen supplier, and paying back any outstanding credit balances, as smooth as possible.
Philippa Pickford, Ofgem’s director for future retail markets, said:
“Toto Energy customers do not need to worry, as under our safety net we’ll make sure your energy supplies are secure and customers’ credit balances are protected.
“Ofgem will now choose a new supplier for you and whilst we’re doing this our advice is to ‘sit tight’ and don’t switch. You can rely on your energy supply as normal. We will update you when we have chosen a new supplier, who will then get in touch about your new tariff.”
Customers who have questions should visit the FAQs on our website. Or if they need additional support, call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via their webform. Advice will also be shared on Ofgem’s twitter @ofgem and facebook channels.
Notes to editors
- Toto Energy’s customers should take meter readings today and wait until their new supplier contacts them. Once they’ve been contacted, customers can ask to be put on their new supplier’s cheapest deal or shop around for a better deal from another supplier. They won’t be charged exit fees for switching away from their new supplier.
- For non-smart prepayment meters, customers can continue to use their top-up devices until they are replaced by the appointed supplier.
- For smart prepayment meters, you will be able to top up your meter with Toto Energy for a short while. If required, Toto Energy will send an electronic message to your meter to turn it into credit mode. This will enable you to take a continual supply without the need to top up. Once a new supplier has been appointed, they will be in contact with you to discuss whether you want to take your supply with them through a prepayment tariff and they will set this up for you.
- Ofgem's safety net will make sure customers will always have an energy supply, domestic customers’ credit balances are protected and that the process in moving over to the appointed supplier is as smooth and hassle free as possible.
For media, contact
Michelle Amos: 020 7901 1881
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
General enquiries (non-media)
If you are an energy customer looking for help and advice, including complaints about energy firms, please see our Household gas and electricity guide. Citizens Advice also provide a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 03454 040506.
We also regularly share news and post general advice to help consumers get the most out of their energy services via our @Ofgem twitter and Facebook pages.If you have an enquiry or complaint relating to Ofgem’s policies or functions, contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7901 7295.
For all other non-media related enquiries, please visit our Contact us page.
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.