Change of ownership

Moving house

I receive Domestic RHI payments and I’m moving house

If you’re planning to sell your property, and your heating system is included in the sale, it’s important that you let us know as it affects your Domestic RHI eligibility. You can do this by phone, email or letter.

You’ll need to contact us 28 days in advance of the sale going through.

By getting this information to us as soon as possible, you’ll allow us to issue you the correct payment. This avoids any need for you to repay any money as you're no longer eligible for payments once you've sold your property.

You agree to this when you apply and it’s part of your ongoing obligations to notify us if your property is transferred to a new owner.

Not notifying us will also cause delays if the new owner plans to join the scheme.

When do your payments stop?

Any remaining payments will be paid to you up until the day before the legal transfer of the property is complete. For example, if the date of transfer is 1 January, you’ll be paid up to and including 31 December.

You’ll then receive any money you’re owed once you've provided us with one of the documents mentioned below.

I’ve just moved into a property with a renewable heating system already registered on the scheme 

If you’re moving into a property with a renewable heating system already accredited to the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme, and you want to take over the Domestic RHI payments from the previous owner, you have 12 months from the sale of the property and renewable heating system to apply to the scheme.Your payments will not accrue until we’re satisfied all of the eligibility criteria are met and we’ve sent you a statement of eligibility. You'll need to provide us with one of the documents below to confirm that you're the new owner.

When do your payments start?

Payments will start to accrue from the point that you are accepted onto the scheme. Payments are made following the existing payment schedule of the original application. We will send you a notification of the date of your first payment.

What documents do you need to provide?

You have 12 months from the date of the sale of the property and renewable heating system to submit your application to us.

You need to provide us with one of the following documents as soon as possible after the sale of the property has taken place:

  • A completed TR1 form or Scottish equivalent (such as a deed of disposition);
  • A copy of the title deed showing the date of the transfer of ownership;
  • A letter from a solicitor confirming the sale. The letter should include the property address, your name and the name of the new owner and the legal date of the transfer; or,
  • A TA10 form "fittings and fixtures".

As the new owner, you will need to get the most up to date Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS)open key term pop-up and Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)open key term pop-up certificate numbers and provide them to us. You can ask the previous owner of the domestic plant for these certificate numbers.

You can download the relevant EPC for your property from the Landmark Registry website in England and Wales or the Energy Savings Trust website in Scotland. Alternatively you can get information or assistance by calling the Landmark Registry on 03300 366 024 or the Energy Saving Trust on 0808 808 2282.

Transfer of ownership in the event of death

If the existing recipient of Domestic RHI payments passes away, the executor of their estate should contact our Applicant Support Centre on as soon as possible and we’ll talk them through the process.

It is possible for the Domestic RHI payments to be transferred to the beneficiary of the estate.

Tel: 0300 0030 744


Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS)

All renewable heating systems in the Domestic RHI must be certified by MCS. This is an internationally recognised quality assurance scheme supported by government. You’ll need an MCS certificate number to support your application. More.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

This is a report that assesses the energy efficiency of a property and recommends how it can improve. It’s the proof we need that your property is a ‘dwelling’. More.