Freedom of Information

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

Freedom of Information and the Environmental Information Regulations

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) both came into force on 1 January 2005. They give people the right to request recorded information held by public authorities. As a government department, we qualify as a public authority.

Information rights are designed to help people get a better understanding of how public authorities carry out their duties and make decisions.

Information requests

If you are a consumer and you have an issue to resolve with an energy company please refer to the Consumer Advice section.

If you would like to make a request for recorded information held by Ofgem, please submit an FOI or EIR request to our Information Rights team. To do this, either email us at (preferably in plain text) or write to us at:

Information Rights Officer
10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

Note: Please do not send us original documents by post as we will not be able to return them.

You can also contact us to make an EIR request in an oral format on 020 7901 7295.

Note: All FOI requests must be made in writing (by email or post), as per section 8 of the Freedom of Information Act.

We endeavour to respond to all information requests within the statutory 20 working day limit, or within 40 working days under a permitted extension, starting from the first working day after which the request was received.

If you're not happy with our response

If you are unhappy with our response to your FOI or EIR request, you can ask for an internal review by emailing us at We endeavour to complete the review in 20 working days for requests considered under FOIA and within 40 working days for requests considered under the EIR. A senior legal adviser who was not initially involved in the case will carry out the review. They can either instruct the Information Rights team to carry out further work where necessary or they can decide that our initial response is satisfactory. In either case, the applicant will be informed of the decision in writing.

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane