ROO-FIT accreditation FAQ

Publication date
27th January 2017
Information types
Policy areas

1. Is there a difference between the ROO-FIT and MCS routes of accreditation for the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme?


The ROO-FIT route of accreditation is used if your installation is a solar photovoltaic (PV) or wind installation with a Declared Net Capacity (DNC) of above 50kW up to a Total Installed Capacity (TIC) of 5MW, or if it is a hydro or anaerobic digestion installation up to a TIC of 5MW. You submit your FIT application to Ofgem using the Renewables and CHP Register.

You should use the MCS-FIT route of accreditation if your installation is a wind or PV installation with DNC of 50kW or less – the average home solar PV installation has a DNC of 4kW. You should then submit your FIT application to your chosen FIT Licensee (electricity supplier), which we’ve listed on our website.

More information on the different routes of accreditation on pages 3 and 4 of our essential guide.

2. I have just submitted my ROO-FIT application. Do I need to provide any evidence supporting my application?


We will confirm receipt of your application by email within one working day of receipt. We will then send a second email explaining the minimum evidence we will need. The sooner we get this evidence, the quicker we can review your application.

If there is any evidence you haven’t sent us that you think will help us process your application, please email it to The person reviewing your application will contact you if further evidence is required.

3. I have recently changed one of the meters at my installation. Do I need to tell Ofgem about it?


If you have applied for the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme only, you need to tell your FIT licensee about these changes.

If you have applied for the FIT and REGO schemes, you should let us know if you have replaced any of the meters by updating your ROO-FIT application. You should also inform your FIT licensee.

To amend your ROO-FIT application:

  • Log into your account on the Renewables and CHP Register.
  • Under the ‘Accreditation’ tab click on ‘View/Edit Existing Accreditation Details For A Generating Station’.
  • Click on ‘View’ and then on ‘Edit existing details for installation’.
  • Select the questions to amend and click ‘Submit’.
  • Click ‘Edit’ and amend the answers as required.
  • Click next until you get to a button stating: ‘Re-submit your application’.
  • Navigate to the end of the application and you will see a button which says ‘Submit response’. Then click ‘Continue’.

4. I have amended my ROO-FIT application to update the metering. Do I need to provide any supporting evidence?


When updating your application form with the details of the new meter we will need the date the new meter was installed, a reading from this date and the make, model and serial number of the new meter. Please have a look at question 3 to see how to amend your application.

Once you have amended your application, please send us an email to so we can approve it quickly. Your application will go through two stages of review: it is assessed by one member of the team and then assessed and approved by another member of the team.

If we don’t need to ask you any questions about your application, such as when you have simply changed the metering, we aim to approve your amendments within 10 working days.

If you have changed MPAN number or if you have amended part of the address of the installation, we may ask you some questions. A member of our team will be in touch with you to discuss these changes.

5. What is the difference between the higher, middle and lower solar photovoltaic (PV) tariffs?

Three tariff rates are available to solar PV installations with a Total Installed Capacity (TIC) of 250kW or less:

  • a higher rate,
  • a middle rate, and
  • a lower rate.

    These rates are allocated depending on meeting:

  1. the Energy Efficiency Requirement, and
  2. whether the multi-installation tariff applies.

To meet the Energy Efficiency Requirement you must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of level D or above issued for the building to which the PV is wired to provide electricity. A valid EPC is:

  • entered on the Landmark database (the database of all EPC issued in England and Wales) or the Scottish Landmark Database (the database of all EPC issued in Scotland), and
  • was issued before you commissioned your solar PV installation.

    Some installations can be exempt from the Energy Efficiency Requirement.

    Chapter 3 of our guidance provides more information on situations in which the Energy Efficiency Requirement does not apply, and whether you can claim this exemption during the application process.  

    The multi-installation tariff applies where the owner (FIT Generator) or nominated recipient of the FIT payments already owns or gets FIT payments for 25 or more other eligible solar PV installations.

    So the higher, middle and lower solar PV tariffs are applied like this in cases where the Energy Efficiency Requirement applies:

EPC level D or above?

Multi installation tariff applies?









Yes or No


6. I have installed a solar photovoltaic (PV) system (250kW or less) on a new build property. It was commissioned on or after 10 May 2016. My EPC was issued after I commissioned the PV. Will I receive the higher tariff?

Have a look at question 5 to see how the higher/middle/lower tariffs available for solar photovoltaic systems of 250kW or less are assigned.

From 10 May 2016, applicants must provide an EPC of level D or above that was issued before the installation commissioned to be considered for the higher tariff.

More detailed guidance on the EPC requirements is available in our guidance (see pages 26-29).

7. I have a solar photovoltaic (PV) installation with a Total Installed Capacity (TIC) above 250kW wired to a building. Do I need to provide any extra evidence with my application?


There are two different tariffs available for PV installations with a Total Installed Capacity (TIC) greater than 250kW:

1. The ‘standard’ tariffs are available to installations that are wired to provide electricity to a building and where at least an equivalent of 10% of the declared net capacity (DNC) of the installation can be imported and consumed onsite. We ask these PV applicants to provide the following

  • a copy of your import connection agreement so we can check that you are able to import an equivalent of at least 10% of the DNC of your installation, and
  • a list of each of the loads onsite and their kilowatt (kW) rating so that we can check that loads are available onsite that would consume an equivalent of at least 10% of the DNC of the installation.

2. The ‘standalone’ tariffs are available to installations that are not wired to a building or that do not meet the requirements to be considered ‘standard’.

For further details please have a look at page 25 of the FIT Guidance.

8. I have applied for a ROO-FIT accreditation. Can Ofgem tell me how to work out my place in the caps queue and my tariff?


The number of new installations that can receive support under the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme each month is capped – we call these deployment caps.

Applications for small installations are queued by the date and time the MCS certificate was first issued. Applications for large installations are queued by the date and time the application was received by Ofgem. You can use this information to find your place in the queue. The latest FIT queue information is available in our deployment caps reports.

Once you have found your place in the queue you will be able to identify when your cap opens. You can then use the latest FIT tariff rates to see which tariff you will receive.

9. The declared net capacity (DNC) of my installation is greater than the export connection. Does this affect my application?


When we check the installation has commissioned, we need to be certain that all generated electricity can be used either by exporting, using onsite or a combination of the two.

Where the declared net capacity (DNC) of the installation is greater than the export connection, we need to check that there are loads onsite that could consume the difference.

We ask these applicants to provide the following:

  • A list of each of the electrical loads onsite and the kW electricity they need to operate,
  • A copy of an electricity bill from before the PV was installed, or
  • A copy of any half hourly import data you may have from before the PV panels were installed.

10. Can I extend my installation?


We define an extension to an installation that is receiving Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) payments as additional capacity of the same technology added to the same site. If you extend your FIT installation and the extension is commissioned on or after 15 January 2016, then the new installation is not eligible to receive generation and export payments.

You can read more information about extensions in our guidance.

11. I have recently moved into a new house with a solar photovoltaic (PV) installation on the roof. Can Ofgem tell me if they are registered for the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme and who the energy supplier is?


Please send proof that you own the property and the solar panels (such as property purchase contract, deed to the house or land registry documents) to and we will be able to confirm whether your installation is registered to receive FIT payments and from which energy supplier.

12. I have installed solar photovoltaic (PV) panels on my house and it has a declared net capacity (DNC) of 50kW or less. I commissioned it before 15/01/2016 and haven’t applied for the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme yet. Can I receive FIT payments?


Following a government review of the FIT scheme, installations that have an MCS issue date and commissioning date before 15 January 2016 but apply on or after 1 April 2016 are not eligible for FIT support.

The FIT policy is set by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). If you have any questions about the FIT policy, please contact BEIS at or 0207 215 5000.

13. I have a question about a solar photovoltaic (PV) system 50kW or less. Can Ofgem provide me with advice?


For information about renewable electricity generation and how to join the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme, your initial point of contact should be the Energy Saving Trust.

For England and Wales, please contact the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234. For Scotland, please contact Home Energy Scotland free on 0808 808 2282.

If you would like more information on applying for MCS-FIT accreditation, please see our MCS-FIT webpage or contact your chosen FIT licensee.

Ofgem is responsible only for the ROO-FIT route of accreditation (see FAQ question ‘Is there a difference between the ROO-FIT and the MCS route of accreditation for the FIT scheme?’).

14. I have applied for the REGO scheme and am having issues claiming my REGO certificates. Can Ofgem help?


If you are having trouble claiming REGO certificates, our REGO guidance note should help.

Alternatively contact the REGO team by email: or by phone: 0207 901 7310 (option 3).

15. Is there any guidance available on the Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme?


You can find our guidance here: