Complaints about standard of cavity wall insulation installation

Publication date
6th March 2018
Information types
Policy areas

This information is for domestic consumers who’ve had cavity wall insulation measures delivered through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme.

We have no role in the administration of other schemes such as those run by local authorities, and the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish governments. 

Our role and ability to help

Our role as administrator of ECO generally involves setting targets for each obligated energy company, ensuring compliance and monitoring their progress towards these targets. We do not regulate the insulation industry. Further information on our role as the administrator of the ECO scheme can be found on our website

Because we have no oversight of the contractual arrangements between the obligated energy companies and those organisations that install energy efficiency measures on their behalf, our ability to help you resolve a complaint is largely based on providing general advice, and in some cases providing information on the installation itself. 

That said, we are always keen to hear about any problems experienced with ECO measures by consumers so we can work with industry to improve standards.

The steps outlined below should help you resolve complaints about an energy efficiency measure installed in your home.

Step 1: Find your paperwork and contact the installer

Contact the installer responsible for your work. This should be in the paperwork given to you when the measure was installed. 

If you can’t find this information and the measure was installed in your property from April 2015 onwards, we should be able to confirm the name of the installer if we have the details registered on our database. To request this, please contact the ECO team and outline what information you wish to request, along with the full address the measure was installed at. (Please note that we will not have this information on our database until three months after the installation has been completed.)

If your measure was installed before April 2015, the energy company that helped to fund it may have a record of the installer’s name (see step 5) and may be able to help you.

Step 2: Contact the relevant oversight body

If the installer hasn’t or wasn’t able to resolve the issue then you should contact the relevant oversight body, as they may also be a part of an accreditation and/or certification body, and/or trade association that maintains industry standards. Please note installers have to be registered by a certification body to be eligible under the Energy Company Obligation scheme. 

You can try contacting the National Insulation Association which has procedures for complaints against registered members.  You can also search on the  Green Deal Oversight & Registration Body website where you may be able to find details of your installers’ certification body.   

Contact details are below:

National Insulation Association (NIA) Tel: 01525 383313 or email:

Green Deal Oversight & Registration Body

Step 3: If the installer has gone out of business

Citizen’s Advice provides general guidance on what to do if a company has gone out of business. 

Step 4: Find your guarantee or warranty

If the measure was solid, cavity or mobile home wall insulation and installed under ECO, it should be covered by a guarantee and you should contact the guarantee provider. There’s a list of appropriate guarantee providers and their contact details on our website for ECO1 (January 2013 to March 2015), ECO2 (including ECO2t) (April 2015 to September 2018) and ECO3 (after 1 October 2018).

If you know who the guarantee provider is but you are unable to get in touch with them you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service  who were set up by Parliament to resolve individual complaints between financial businesses and their customers. Please note that this is not relevant for the guarantee providers Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency (CIGA) who have their own independent dispute process, details of which can be found on their website.

If you do not have your guarantee and the measure was installed before April 2015, you can contact all the guarantee agencies covering cavity wall insulation and ask them if they have a record of a guarantee covering your address.

For ECO measures installed after April 2015, we can confirm the name of the relevant guarantee agency for wall insulation, but we don’t hold this information for measures installed before then. Please contact the ECO team for more information.

Step 5: Contact the energy supplier

The contract for the work done in your home is typically between you and the installer. However, in some cases the energy company which ultimately funded the measure may be able to help and/or give you information on the installer or the guarantee provider. You can try contacting the supplier that funded your installation and explain the issues you are experiencing with your measure. If there is still an issue with your installation after following the previous four steps, it is found to be an ECO measure within the current scheme and the supplier wants to continue to count it towards their ECO targets, we would expect them to have a process in place that would assist with the rectification of the issues. We cannot guarantee, however, that the energy supplier will undertake remedial works.

Step 6: Contact the consumer ombudsman

The next step is to contact the consumer ombudsman as they independently investigate disputes. You can contact them on 0333 300 1620 or email them at

Other help

If your problem is still not resolved, the Citizens Advice consumer helpline may be able to help. The number is 03454 04 05 06 or they can be contacted online. If you wish to report a problem to Trading Standards, mention this to the adviser.

Citizens Advice can refer matters to Trading Standards, who will then decide whether to take on the case.