Consumer Advice

If you’ve got an issue about someone other than us, such as your installer or contractor, we have provided details of organisations who may be able to help you.

For general energy saving advice:

If you live in England or Wales:

Simple Energy Advice

Call 0800 444 202 to speak to a trained advisor or visit the .GOV website.

If you live in Scotland:

Home Energy Scotland

Call 0808 808 2282. Calls are free from landlines and most mobile networks.

Home Energy Scotland online email form

Consumer Rights

The law sets out your rights as a consumer when you buy goods or services. As administrators of the DRHI, we don’t have powers to protect consumers. However, we do work closely with consumer protection organisations to support our applicants and scheme members.

If you are treated unfairly or things go wrong, you can get general advice and help from the following consumer organisations:

Energy Savings Advice Service can give you free impartial advice on energy and renewables in England and Wales

Home Energy Scotland can give you free impartial advice on energy efficiency and renewable energy in Scotland

Citizens Advice can give you free, impartial advice on your consumer rights. They can also report your complaint to Trading Standards for investigation

Simple Energy Advice can give you impartial and independent advice on what home energy grants are available

Age UK can give you advice, help you access information and services and much more. Its services are only available for those aged over 60

Which? can give you independent advice on consumer rights and issues. You can also get specific information on renewable heating

Complaints about installations and sales

Who to contact if things go wrong with:

  1. the installation of your renewable heating technology
  2. the sale or contract for your renewable heating technology
  3. the operation of your renewable heating technology
  4. your Energy Performance Certificate