- Publication date
- 7th February 2020
- Information types
- Policy areas
We introduced a new regulatory and incentives framework for the Electricity System Operator (ESO) in April 2018. The ESO Performance Panel plays a central role in this new framework. It will challenge the ESO’s plans before the start of the year, evaluate its performance after 6 months (the ‘Mid-Year Review’) and then perform a final evaluation at the end of the year. This forms a recommendation to the Authority on incentives.
Forward Plan Review Meeting
The Performance Panel met on the 23rd January 2020 to provide its views on the scope and level of ambition of the ESO’s Forward Plan, deliverables and performance metrics. As the secretariat for the panel, we have published this report detailing the Panel’s views on the ESO's draft Forward Plan.
Performance Panel Members
The Performance Panel consists of three industry representatives, four independent experts, a consumer representative and an Ofgem chair.
- Ofgem chair: Cathryn Scott, Interim Executive Director, Systems and Networks
- Consumer representative: Citizens Advice (rep: Richard Hall)
Our selected trade bodies and their chosen representatives are:
- The Association of Decentralised Energy (rep: Chris Kimmett)
- The Energy Networks Association (rep: Lynne Bryceland)
- Energy UK (rep: Matthew Deitz)
We have also appointed four independent experts who bring a wide range of knowledge, skills and experience to the Panel:
- Jo Butlin – Jo has worked in a variety of roles across the energy sector for over two decades and has significant experience of large-scale IT project implementation. She was previously Managing Director at Cornwall Energy Associates and currently runs her own consultancy business. She has experience in helping to support the development of flexibility markets.
- John Carnwath – John is an experienced power systems engineer. He spent over two decades performing a variety of roles at National Grid before taking up a senior role at the Abu Dhabi electricity and water system operator and more recently providing consultancy support to Eirgrid.
- Robert Hull – Bob brings over 30 years’ experience of leadership in UK and international energy. This includes previous roles as a Managing Director at Ofgem, as well as gaining direct electricity system operation and engineering experience at National Grid.
- Ian Tait – Ian has extensive executive level experience on regulation and performance analysis. He brings valuable cross-sectoral experience as a Director at the Water Industry Commission for Scotland, as well as previous energy experience working as a transmission system manager at Scottish and Southern Energy.