Levy Exemption Certificates (LECs) held on the Renewables and CHP Register: Information for generators

Publication date
13th February 2018
Information types
Policy areas

If you are a Climate Change Levy (CCL) accredited generator and have a Levy Exemption Certificate (LEC) in your account on the Renewables and Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Register, you need to take the following steps.

You should retire LECs you have in your account which are not associated with export to the national transmission and/or distribution network (i.e. those associated with on-site consumption, export through a private wire to a third party, transformer losses).

How to retire a LEC

To retire LECs please log in to your account:

  1. Click on the ‘Certificates’ tab
  2. Select ‘Retire Certificates’.

Transferring export-associated LECs

If you want to transfer your export-associated LECs to a supplier, you can still do so. However please bear in mind that for suppliers to apply the CCL exemption for either Renewable Source Electricity (RSE) or indirect supplies of CHP electricity, the electricity must be actually supplied before 1 April 2018. Please note that it is not necessary to change suppliers for them to receive your LECs.

CCL generators will be notified of this via email. However, the message may be classified as junk, so spam folders will need to be regularly checked to ensure that the email is not missed.

Further guidance

You can find a guide on how to transfer the certificates to your supplier on page 3 of our guidance: CCL and REGO schemes - FAQs

You can find more details on LECs and applying CCL exemptions in the following:

Contact us

If you have queries relating to LECs in your account, please contact us at:CCLandREGO@ofgem.gov.uk