Reviews and complaints

Mae’r dudalen yma ar gael yn Gymraeg.

In this section you can find out about our process for reviews and complaints for the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI). There are important differences between the two:

  • Domestic RHI reviews are for when you disagree with a decision we’ve made that affects you (for example rejecting an application)
  • Domestic RHI complaints are for when you’re unhappy about the service we’ve provided
  • Other complaints are for when you’re unhappy with the service your installer or contractor has provided, or with the scheme policy.

Our commitment to you

We’re dedicated to providing great customer service. We take every complaint or request for review seriously and will:

  • acknowledge in writing each formal complaint or request for review and assign a reference number
  • act impartially to ensure a fair outcome
  • take reasonable and appropriate steps to investigate your issue fully
  • keep you updated of our progress
  • inform you of the outcome, provide reasons for that outcome, and explain your next steps if you are not happy with the conclusion.

Complaints about the scheme policy

Where the complaint relates to an aspect of the policy behind the scheme, the individual should contact the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) .

Complaints about sales, installers and assessors

The law sets out your rights as a consumer when you buy goods or services. As administrators of the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), we don’t have powers to protect consumers. However, we do work closely with consumer protection organisations to support our applicants and scheme members.

If you’re not quite sure who to contact when you have a complaint about your installer or contractor, see our dedicated webpage on who to contact. We also suggest that you follow the process below to make sure you’ve done everything you can to help your case.

Complain about a contractor

1. Getting ready to complain

Make a list of all the issues that you are unhappy with.

Contact Citizens Advice to let them know there is a problem and to get advice on how best to write a letter of complaint to an installer or assessor.

2. Contact the installer or assessor

Complain to the installer or assessor in writing and give them the opportunity to resolve the problem.

Their complaints procedure should tell you how to complain and how they will deal with it.

If you’re unhappy with the response from your installer or assessor, or you don’t hear back within two weeks (or less if urgent) then further action is possible.

Go to Step 3.

3. Going beyond the installer/assessor

Update Citizens Advice on the progress of your complaint.

Depending on the nature of the complaint, you can contact the relevant professional body to seek redress. You can find further information on this at Who to contact.

Publications and updates

  • Published: 3rd May 2016
  • Guidance
  • 1 Associated documents
This document is for when you want to request a formal review on the Domestic RHI about a decision we have made.