Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS): Small installations

Closure of the FIT scheme

Please be aware that the FIT scheme closed to new applicants from 1 April 2019, barring some exceptions. We have published an FAQ and guidance document which help explain the impact of these changes.

MCS: Small installations

A ‘small installation’ is solar photovoltaic (solar PV) and wind installations with a Declared Net Capacity (DNC) of 50kW or less - you can find the DNC of your installation on your MCS certificate or by speaking to your installer - and all micro combined heat and power (CHP) installations. It may help you to know that the average home-scale PV installation is 4kW. If the capacity of your installation is more than 50kW, please go to our large installations page.

What happens if my licensee has its electricity supply licence revoked?

Under Ofgem’s safety net, the energy supply of customers of a licensee which has had its licence revoked continues as normal. The process is different for Feed-in Tariff (FIT) customers whose payments were made by the licensee whose licence has been revoked.

Ofgem is aware that when a FIT licensee has its electricity supply licence revoked, this can leave a number of FIT generators registered with a FIT licensee which is no longer operating.

Our guidance gives direction on what happens in this situation for FIT generators. FIT generators have a responsibility to select a new FIT Licensee and agree FIT terms with them in order to continue receiving FIT payments. When a FIT generator approaches a new licensee, they will be required provide all the information they have regarding their installation. This will include name, address, FIT ID, whether the installation is MCS or ROO-FIT, the MCS or ROO-FIT number, technology type and capacity as well as billing information and the date of the meter reading when the last FIT payments were made.

In the event of a FIT Licensee having their licence revoked, Ofgem will write to all FIT Licensees to make them aware that affected FIT generators may approach them seeking to register with them as their new FIT Licensee.

How do I apply?

You will need a Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) certification (or equivalent) if you want to receive FIT payments. For solar PV installations you will also need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rated D or above and issued before you commission your installation to receive the highest FIT tariffs.

To apply, follow the steps below. 

Commission your installation

You must use an MCS-certified installer using MCS-certified equipment. Your installer will register your installation on the central MCS database and give you an MCS certificate.

Submit an application to your chosen energy supplier (we call this your FIT Licensee)

full list of FIT licensees is available on our website.

Claim your FIT payments

Once your energy supplier accredits your application, they will make the FIT payments to you once a quarter.

What tariff will I receive?

The number of new installations that can receive support under the FIT scheme each month is capped – we call these deployment caps. Applications for small installations are queued by the date and time the MCS certificate was first issued.

The latest FIT queue information is available here.

The latest FIT tariff rates are available here.

Need help?

Please contact Simple Energy Advice at www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk or on 0300 444 202. If you would like more information on applying for FIT accreditation for a small installation, please see our small installations webpage or contact your energy supplier.


If you have a complaint about your FIT licensee, your first point of contact should be your FIT licensee (the supplier paying your feed-in tariffs), who will help resolve your complaint according to their complaints procedure.

If an agreement has not been reached with the FIT licensee within eight weeks then you can contact the Energy Ombudsman.

If you have a complaint about your installer, your first point of contact should be your installer. If the complaint is not resolved, you can approach the certification body for the installation company. Details of the correct certification body can be found on the MCS website. Alternatively you can approach the Renewable Energy Consumer Code (RECC) to escalate the complaint.

Publications and updates